As I said I would last week, I have pushed everything aside this week to work on my SpillyJane Camilla Mittens. I almost have the first one done.
I have only ever made mittens once before and they were worked flat so these mittens have had a lot of new challenges for me.
- worked in the round on teeny tiny needles (I'm a little worried about the tension between the the 1st & 2nd needles and the 3rd & 4th needles which occur mid mitten as you can see in the picture - maybe blocking will help even it out?)
- colorwork throughout (inside out shot)
- ribbing kitted into the back loop (which I frequently forgot to do)
- knitting in waste yarn to pick up stitches for the thumb (definitely the toughest part so far but I think it's looking pretty good!)
- kitchener stitched at the top of the hand and thumb.
The best technique I have learned so far is to slip the first cast on stitch onto the end of the last needle and then pass the last cast on stitch over on to the first needle before starting the first round. It makes such a nice tight join to the round!
Two friends from my Craft Night are working on Camilla mittens too. It will be neat to see how they all turn out.
I did manage to pull myself away from the mittens long enough to finish the back of my "No Star" sweater : )
Now I am trying to organize how much space I have (very little - darn you baggage fees) and which projects are coming with me next week to Hawaii!
Hopefully, I will get a chance to send my next WIP Wednesday from here...
PS: See some fabulous WIP's through Tami's blog!