Friday, March 18, 2011

FO Friday #4 - Sweet as Honey

I actually finished 2 projects this week but I think I will save one for next Friday ; )

I am very very very excited to present my "Honeyed Mushrooms Cowl." It was a delight to knit and I am very happy with the results.

Pattern: Honey Cowl
Yarn: Madelinetosh Pashmina
Colourway: Vintage Frame

Needles: 4.5 mm/ US 7 32 inch circular Knit Picks nickel interchangeables

Started: February 15, 2011
Finished: March 16, 2011








This pattern calls for DK weight yarn but I had this lovely lonely skein of sport weight Madelinetosh that I was dying to use.

I cast on 210 stitches and spent the entire knit worried that it would not be long enough to wrap twice around (as you can see though, it is).
I haven't blocked it because I didn't want to stretch it out too much and lose all the wonderful springiness it has now. (--as an aside I am shocked to find that springiness is an actual word -- thought I was making it up : )

This pattern was very easy and definitely qualifies as a mindless knit - but one of those good ones that doesn't get too boring. The yarn was the most delicious I have knit with to date. It's squishy and soft and has beautiful stitch definition. Worth every penny to me. (In fact, last weekend I snuck out and bought some Tosh DK to make another one - but don't tell my husband!!))

Special thanks to B for taking the photos.
I'm still sad I had to give you this coat back.

My only sadness is that I have realized that this cowl is not destined to be mine. It is my lovely cousin (in-law)'s birthday and I know she would love this. It is a true demonstration of my affection for her that I might  probably  maybe will give this to her as a birthday gift.
Happy Birthday Carly xxx

Check out more beautiful finished projects on Tami's blog!

Have a great weekend!
Cheers, Nikki

9 comments:

  1. It looks so nice and soft. Been awhile since I've made a cowl, but I do enjoy them, and find sometimes they're more practical then a scarf. Have thought about making some for my charity, Bridge and Beyond....but keep wondering if people will know how to loop and wear them. I'm not sure people outside our knit and crochet world know about them. Would love an opinion. The other plus, I thought from my end is perhaps they would be faster to make and use less yarn?
    Happy FOFriday

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sandy
    My knit group and I have had this discussion before. We all agree that cowls are very useful and much quicker to knit up than scarves. I don't think that "non-knitters" generally realize all the time that goes into a scarf. I also think that cowls might be getting a bit more mainstream. I saw some at the Gap this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cowl!! Iv never made a cowl before, Was it easy to do??

    ReplyDelete
  4. @littleredcraftingcorner
    Super easy! Just join in the round and go round and round and round : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cowl is absolutely fantastic - I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's beautiful, Nikki! I love it with and without the coat (I wouldn't want to give the coat back either. It's adorable). The pattern worked perfectly with the yarn and colorway it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished a small cowl. Mine, sadly, is a gift too. It is going to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cowl is gorgeous! I love the soft colour, and the way it drapes is just amazing. I love it when knitwear turns out elegant and snuggly at the same time, it's the best combination ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very elegant! I am not normally drawn to the brown yarn, but that is a gorgeous shade -- lots of depth to it, isn't there? Pashmina is enough to tempt me away from the yarn diet, I sooooo want to try some.

    ReplyDelete