Friday, April 1, 2011

FO Friday #6 - A Flower for my Nan


Far from where I am in Canada, across the Atlantic ocean, in the country of Wales, lives a lovely lady that I am lucky enough to call my Nan.


This week she celebrated her 82nd birthday.

I wished so much that I could be there. I wanted to let her know I was thinking of her. But... what the heck do you get an 82 year old woman for her birthday??

I decided to make her a knitted broach. It was quick and small enough to post in time.

So using some scrap yarn I made a little flower following a Debbie Bliss pattern.

but, I wasn't totally happy with it, so I made another.
Still something wasn't quite right... so I made another.
Finally, I was happy. Good thing these things are quick!

Pattern: Floral Corsage
Source: Debbie Bliss' The Knitter's Year
Yarn: Scrap pieces of worsted weight
Needles: 3.75mm & 4.5mm (US 5 & 7) straights
Time: about an hour each

Soon it was whizzing it's way off to Wales. Happily it arrived on time and was apparently part of a lovely day where my favourite person in the world was rightfully spoiled by her friends and family.

Happy Birthday Nan xxx

Treat yourself and take a minute to check out some great finished projects through Tami's blog.

Cheers, Nikki

9 comments:

  1. Wales is such a gorgeous place. What a shame you couldn't visit and pass your gift over in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post and your nan is ADORABLE. I'm sure she LOVED the gift, and it meant a ton to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all lovely! She's lucky to have you, too. I'm sure she was thrilled with the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! All of them are my favorite and what a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing the pattern link.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift. So beautiful. I am sure she will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your Nan had a very happy birthday. The flower brooch was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely gift! I think all three turned out beautifully. Happy birthday to your nan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, and a wonderful gift for your Nan! I hope she had spectacular birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful present that I'm sure will be much loved. My partner's family live in Wales, and it is gorgeous there.

    ReplyDelete