Friday, April 8, 2011

FO Friday #7 - No Star Sweater

Wow! This my 4th FO Friday post in a row - now we're cooking with gas ( I wish - our stove is electric).


One of my New Year's resolutions was to knit a sweater for each member of my family this year. Today's FO is number 2 of 4 towards that goal (that still counts as being halfway even though the first two sweaters were for pint sized people and the second two are not... right?)

Without further ado, I present... No Star Sweater : )
Front

Back
Pattern: Little Star Sweater by Zoe Mellor
Size 2-3year old with 2 cm added to sleeves
Yarn: Bendigo Woolen Mills Luxury 8 ply
Colourways: Denim & Bracken
Needles: 4.0mm (US 6) Knit Picks Nickel Interchangeables
Started: January 24, 2011
Finished: April 3, 2011

I really enjoyed knitting with this yarn. If you don't have to pay for shipping from Australia, it is an amazingly inexpensive wool superwash. I love that is comes in 200g balls. 
It has a lovely sheen and stitch definition. However, I was fortunate not to have to tink very much with it because I noticed that it doesn't seem to hold its twist when frogged and can look a little ratty when reknit. It didn't bleed at all when I washed and blocked it but I think it grew a little. (That would account for it being a little big on my Monkey, it couldn't have anything to do with MY measurements...)

The pattern was very straight forward. This was my first time working a modified drop sleeve but I only needed to post one little question on Rav to get it figured out. 


I was really happy with how the neckband looked after picking up the stitches. 

I'm so glad I did the stripes on the sleeves (even after weaving 70 billionty ends - seriously, I counted!) 
If I had been brave enough to modify the pattern, I would have slipped a stitch on each row during the neck shaping to make picking up the stitches easier and more even. I also would have knit the neckband in the round (I didn't because I was worried the neck would be too tight and I would need to be able to add buttons - but it was fine). And, I would have slipped a stitch with the shoulder shaping to make the transition a little smoother.

I watched a lot of youtube videos over the weekend about seaming. This was my favourite one for shoulder seams.
My question for the masses (otherwise known as the 5 or 6 of you who are actually reading this : ) is: 

Do you like to block before or after seaming? 

I have now done it both ways and I think on a sweater with a lot of seams - like this one - it was definitely easier to match up the edges when they were blocked. 

Now, you've waited long enough. Here is the "Sweater & Reluctant Monkey" action shot.

 I have been reading Michelle Edward's Knitter's Home Companion and at one point she talks about the desperate measures she has gone to to find local knitting friends. She remarks on how much easier it is now with blogs, Rav and the internet. I understand exactly what she is saying. It is great to know you guys are out there. I really enjoy following everyone's crafty lives and I love cheering each project on. It's incredible to feel a kind of community with people all over the world that you've never met. I really appreciate all your support.

See more fabulous fibery folks and their fantastic FO's through Tami's blog.

Happy Friday everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers, Nikki

Oh OK, just one more : )


11 comments:

  1. That sweater is great! Well done! I'm looking forward to making sweaters for myself and the family, first though I have to make everyone a hat and scarf set - that's gonna take a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!
    About your question... for me, it depends. If the sweater was mostly stockinette, then I don't block before seaming. But, if there's any fancy bits, then I'll block just because it makes lining the seams up easier.
    Sometimes, I don't even block after I've finished if I don't need to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing on him! I think it's great that it's a little big. You know he won't outgrow it right away.

    I can't believe you've had so many FO's lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great goal, knitting sweaters for your family. I wish my husband would let me knit for him! The sweater is great, I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great sweater! And a cute kid to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the action photos! And I love your goal of knitting sweaters for everyone. I've made sweaters for me, and one for my mom, but I haven't made one for my hubby yet. He SAYS he'll wear it... but I just don't believe him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a super cute jumper!! The colours are sooo nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look lovely yarn. Great photos of the sweater being modelled by the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray! You finished it! Your Monkey looks like he's very pleased with his beautiful new sweater. All that end-weaving was definitely worthwhile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sweater came out beautifully and it looks so cute on your little boy.

    ReplyDelete