Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WIP Wednesday #11 - Crescent Moon

Happy Wednesday everyone!
Last week, I had a lot of fun blogging for Knitting and Crochet Blog week, but it was also a lot of work! It is nice this week to be able to put the focus back on actual knitting.

I found last week's blogs to be very inspirational and motivating. So, when I finished the Little Start sweater* on Monday, I decided to push myself and try something new.
(*more on this later - like on Friday ; )

Last year (actually last April!), I bought some lace weight yarn for the first time with little clue of what I was going to do with it. Yesterday, I cast on for my first ever shawl. I have nicknamed it "Croissant."

I am holding two lace weights together - I have never knitted with two different yarns held together but so far so good.
The two yarns are a baby alpaca in a creamy tan colour and a Noro that is a mix of brown and creams. This is my first time ever using Noro. I have heard all about the pros and cons of it. People seem to either love  it or hate it. I am more than a little excited to finally try it.



Won't these lovely neutrals look nice together?
When I wound the Noro into a cake, I was surprised (and perhaps a little dismayed) to discover that in with the creams and browns are two long repeats of pink and blue.
Hmmm, welcome to Noro I guess.
So my question is: Given that I will need all the yarn on the skein, is the blue and pink going to look too weird? My options are to live with it (call it part of the creative process perhaps?) or to search for another skein so I can cut out the pink and blue sections and still have enough yarn. I would certainly appreciate some advice.

The pattern I am using is Lune Shawl. I am doing the simple stockinette version (the purple/blue one on the link). It is a very simple pattern for my first "lace" shawl but I am already learning so much from it!
It started with a provisional cast on, which I had never done, but the pattern came with clear instructions and I got it on the first go!
I have done a fair amount of knitting from charts but mostly for colourwork or patterned dishcloths. This is definitely the most counting and math I've had to manage while knitting.

In the beginning, I thought maybe I was just knitting a senseless puddle of yarn but, sure enough, there is now an actual pattern appearing. It is very exciting!


Friday, I will show you finished pics of my No Star sweater as well as action shots of it on my somewhat reluctant Monkey. Surely you wouldn't want to miss that?

Also, don't miss your chance to check out more works-in-progress over on Tami's blog!

Cheers, Nikki

10 comments:

  1. One of the things I love about Noro is they aren't afraid to whop in some zing. I would say if this was a plain shawl I would leave in the zing, but it depends on how it looks with the pattern. It may defuse the zing if it is on a lace bit, which may give it a more elegant feel. I would suggest knitting until you get almost to the coloured bit before deciding whether to cut it out or not. You may decide you are sick of the neutral by the time you reach it or you may feel it jars far to much. Only you can decide something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait and see, I reckon! I've still not knitted in lace weights. I'm still feeling too scared! Looking forward to seeing this project progress, and see whether or not you omit the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Crafty Cripple. Yarn and color choice is so personal! I don't think the blue and pink will look weird, especially as the color changes will be muted by the more solid alpaca yarn. I would knit until you get there and decide what you think after adding in some color. It's a very pretty pattern and I look forward to seeing what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the others said. I definitely agree that the solid will tone it down some, but you never know. I'd use lifelines, and if you don't like how it looks knitted up, you can always pull back to your last lifeline with only a little angst. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the above. Noro is lovely but unpredictable. Sometimes this can be advantageous, the blue and pink look very pretty in the skein. The added color can be lovely in this pattern. Use life lines like Paula suggested and knit it up. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the above as well. I think the two will diffuse each other, but in the end, it's all personal preference. I think it looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Paula about putting in a lifeline before the color shifts so you can easily rip back if you don't like the way it looks.

    Love the alpaca yarn by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go for it. The little pops of color will be toned down by the second strand. Everyone needs a little color in unexpected places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I think the colors will be beautiful! Great yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours are lovely, and I think Croissant is a much more interesting name than 'Lune Shawl'.

    ReplyDelete