Friday, May 20, 2011

FO Friday #13 - Christmas is Coming!

Wow, how's that for the worst title in history for a May post?

Last week I started to get bored of knitting the first (now ill-fated) sleeve for my sweater and began looking around for a distraction. I was also itching to knit with more Noro...

So, I decided to start a Christmas present project for my cousin. My cousin is a wonderful 19 year old girl with a rather eclectic taste in fashion. I figured she was one of the few people in my life who might be up for Noro's fab colour changes.

I've decided to make her a hat and fingerless mitts. This week I got the hat done.
I know it kind looks like a giant gnome hat here
but it's supposed to be big and slouchy.. that's what makes it hip & happening (I hope)
(wow, I'm sounding a lot older than my 34 years in this post!)

Pattern: Felicity by Wanett Clyde
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Lite
1.1 skeins used
Tools used: 3.75mm/US 5 16" Chicagoo bamboo circ
4.5mm/US 7 16" Knit Picks nickel circ
4.5mm/US 7 Knit Picks nickel DPN's
darning needle

My friend has knit this **FREE** pattern several times and I loved her results. The pattern calls for heavier weight yarn so I cast on 90 stitches. I increased to 130 before decreasing.


I apologize for the fuzzy self-portrait bathroom shots... I kinda forgot it was Friday today.

Overall, I'm happy but not totally convinced about the outcome. 
First, these are definitely not my colours and it's hard for me to look past that to the style of the hat. 
Second, I'm worried it's going to be a tiny bit loose around (although I have been assured by my friends that the fit is great). I blocked it on a tall cylindrical vase so I didn't stretch it out.
Third, there was one knot in my skein that has resulted in the jarring colour change from green to red mid hat. I didn't think about it at the time but I wander if I should have splice further into the skein to avoid the sudden change.

Having said all that - It's a pretty cool hat and I really really hope my cousin likes it!

It's raining here but I think checking out more FO's through Tami's blog should brighten the day!

Cheers, Nikki


7 comments:

  1. Love Noro, hate the knots! I split spliced a bunch when I did a long coat with Silk Garden. The hat looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, it looks terrific! I'm sure she'll love it and want to wear it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hat! I'm sure it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous hat---I think the colours are amazing, and the shape is definitely a fun, good-slouchy. The fingerless mittens are sure to be awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh love the colors! nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet your cousin will love it. I'm glad you posted the pics with you wearing the hat, the slouchiness with the Noro color changes look great.

    ReplyDelete