Friday, July 29, 2011

FO Friday #20 - Blue Fall


Happy Friday Everyone.

It is a long weekend here in Canada and the weather in my neck of the woods is supposed to be gorgeous. Sunday night I am going away to the mountains with three friends for a overnight crafting-extravaganza. Life is good.

I am excited to show off my pretty blue Saroyan today. It knit up much faster than I expected and used less yarn than I thought it would.

The original Saroyan pattern called for a worsted weight yarn but I wanted a light thinner more-scarf-than-shawl and knit it using the glorious Malabrigo Sock in Azules, a light-fingering weight.
I knit it with a new Hiya Hiya bamboo circular. I loved the feel of these needles but found the tip a little blunt for the lace work.
In the end I used 80g of yarn in total. There was some bleeding of the color when I washed it, but less than I expected. And, although the yarn had a tendency to turn my finger blue, it didn't affect the needles.

I had a lot fun blocking with my lace wires. Hm... that last sentence definitely qualifies me as a knit geek doesn't it? I know, I know, I crossed that road a lonnnggg time ago ; )

I knit 11 increase and decrease repeats and 19 straight leaves. I used Stashnstitch's modifications for pointier ends. And, 53Chevy's mods for decreases that matched the increase side a little better. Seriously, what would we do without Rav?



I am really happy with how it all turned out. The colours in this yarn are beautiful.


It ended up being the perfect length for the light-weight accessory I was looking for.



Blue Fall


Pattern: Saroyan by Liz Abinate
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Azules
Tools: Hiya Hiya 2.5mm/US3 circular
Knitpicks Lace blocking wires


It's ironic, given my good mood today, that I have named my new beautiful scarf Blue Fall as a play on the colour and leaf lace edging, but also because I am pretty apathetic about the approaching autumn. One of my very best friends is moving a way in a couple weeks and I am not looking forward to life without her : (
To say I feel blue would be a bit of an understatement.

Still, it is a pretty scarf, don't you think?

Cheers, Nikki

Don't forget, you too can be on your way to becoming a "knit geek"...
just start by checking out some of the awesome finished projects though Tami's blog ; )

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the blocking wire. I always see them advertised but never have seen them used. I love the photo where you display the cross over.

    Enjoy your time with your friend while she is still near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scarf, I really need to get on with knitting one myself (if only so I can be a geek and use my new blocking kit for the first time!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I love the colourway it really suits the scarf/shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I think I'm going to have to go onto ravelry right now and look to make this scarf for myself! I love how versatile it is! Have a lovely few days away crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful... One day I will have the patience to knit with sock yarn and I soooo love malabrigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous on you!!! I love the dainty border stitch - just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the color of your Saroyan..I've knitted the Cedar leaf shawlette and I loved it. I love how the leaves emerge as we progress..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your decision to make this in a lighter-weight yarn was genius, as far as I'm concerned, because the drape on this is gorrrrgeous. And the colours, too! I need to get some Malabrigo someday, their colourways always make me a little weak-kneed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a lovely shawl. Sorry to hear your friend is moving; have you planned your first visit yet? Vacation planning always perks me up!

    Happy Lord Simcoe Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great job. Beautiful color and drape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love it!! I am planning to make another Saroyan, and use fingering weight to make it. Now to resist starting it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It came out fantastic! I love the color blue you used.

    I agree about Ravelry. Without it, I wouldn't have made nearly as many nice things as I have now, because I wouldn't have been able to find patterns or all the mods other people have done to make it work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your scarf is gorgeous! Well done on the colour choice, suits you to a T!

    Have a lovely trip, hope the weather holds up for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm jealous of your blocking wires! I hear it makes the headaches of blocking go away. The scarf is beautiful and looks great!!! Have an amazing time on your crafting trip. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Looks gorgeous! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! That's an amazing colour. I recently acquired some blocking wires that I'm dying to try, but there's no lace happening around here for some reason. (should remedy that asap)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous scarf. I really love the shades of blue! It really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous. The blue is so uplifting in a mysterious sophisticated way!

    good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gorgeous, and those are some lovely FO pictures of you wearing it. Have a wonderful time during your crafting extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read the title wrong at first -- Blue FAIL -- and was prepared to offer sympathy at whatever was wrong, but what good news instead! Your Saroyan is beautiful and I'm sure soft too with that lovely Malabrigo. Isn't it an amazing feeling to finish a project and know that you got exactly what you hoped for?

    I'm sorry to hear your friend is moving. Most of my favorite people now live hours away from me now and I still wish they'd all move back, or that I could.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks terrific on you! I love that you can wear it as a scarf or shawl. So sorry to hear that your friend is moving.

    ReplyDelete