Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WIP Wednesday #25 - Little Yarn + Little Needles = Little Progress


Sigh...

I cast on for my Saroyon last Wednesday.

The pattern calls for worsted weight but I decided to use light fingering because I didn't want to it to be too heavy and I really like the look and drape of some projects that had been made with that weight yarn... And of course, I just happened to have a lonely skein of Malabrigo sock kicking around, calling out for a purpose in life (beyond just sitting on the shelf looking pretty - which of course, is pretty important duty all the same).

I even got to buy new needles for the project, a 3.25mm (US 3) metal Hiya Hiya 32" circular. Boy, do I love to buy new needles. It amazes me, with the plethora of needles in my possession, how often I need one I don't have.

The pattern is a series of 14 row repeats. It's too much for my little pea brain to memorize but is quite simple to follow as only the leaf edging requires reading the chart. Watching each little leaf appear is quite delightful.

And of course knitting with Malabrigo sock is dream! It's so soft and squishy and the skein I'm using is a semi solid of the most beautiful blues you've ever seen. Although, I will admit,  I have noticed that it is turning the top my right index finger a distinct indigo inky colour.

Anyways, it is a good thing that I am enjoying all the parts and the process of knitting this scarf because I am going to be knitting it FOREVER!

How is it I always forget that tiny needles and tiny yarn mean lots and lots of knitting to make anything?   I bet that this scarf will be the equivalent to at least 2 pair of socks. That's 4 socks! Even the Yarn Harlot can only manage one pair of socks a month! Plus, probably a variety of other elaborate and difficult projects... but still!

Interesting how my 100g scarf can equal 4 socks when it take about 100g to knit 2 socks...
So, maybe my scarf is only the equivalent of 2 socks?
And people knit 2 socks all the time. Well, I never have, but other people do. In fact, maybe I should. Yes I should! And I will!

But first I have to finish this lovely scarf.

Sigh.

Cheers, Nikki

Check out more lovely (and hopefully faster knitting) projects through Tami's blog.

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful colour! I love the leaf detail as well! I hate it when a project feels like its going to take forever! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour. I have that pattern in my queue, but I think I'll be sticking with the worsted weight - I'm sick of projects that take forever! Might make an exception if the yarn is that gorgeous though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me laugh, as I know just how you feel! But that is a gorgeous pattern in gorgeous yarn, so how could you not enjoy it even if it does seem to go slowly? That Malabrigo blue is soooo pretty! I've never heard of Malabrigo bleeding color, but I wonder if it was actually dyed with indigo? I think it is normal for indigo to bleed a little bit. Please let us know if it all rinses out in it's first wash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so beautiful - I haven't tried this yarn yet but I read about it so often I really feel it's a 'must'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour, love the pattern! And I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can finish it in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I love that pattern, and have seen it done beautifully in the fingering weight! Can't wait to see the finished product - it already looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful scarf and yes malabrigo always dyes my hands and needles too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite often contemplate knitting a sweater in fingering weight yarn. And then I regain my grip on sanity. Bravo to you for persevering with what is sure to be a gorgeous scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used a heavier weight and had very little of it, so I had to make a lot of changes. But man, was it fast!!! Yours will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It'll be lovely when you finish. I've knit a few things in bulky yarn lately, and my goodness that just flies off the needles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I love that yarn!!! It's gorgeous! I do the same thing with small yarn. My skirt pattern calls for fingering, but a few people have converted the pattern to worsted quite easily. Of course, I picked the fingering, so it's going to take FOREVER to knit the darn thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm knitting that in worsted and it still feels like its taking FOREVER!!! The leafs are super cool, but after several I got bored with it. I'll finish it, but it may take a few years, LOL!!! Yours is beautiful, love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That scarf will be lovely when finished. Worth the effort.

    BTW, I love tiny needles and tiny yarn. More bang for my buck.

    ReplyDelete