Friday, August 26, 2011

FO Friday #22 - The "my friend moved away so I knit myself a hat" Hat


Happy Friday everyone!

As the mornings get a little cooler and the evenings start a little earlier, I decided to give myself something to look forward to in the coming months and knit myself a new winter hat.




I absolutely LOVE the colour of this hat!

I absolutely loved the Felicity hat I made a while ago, but alas, it was not made for me. I decided I wanted something in a similar slouchy style but wanted to try a different pattern. 

I love Woolly Wormhead's hat patterns. I made Tinker a couple months ago and this was my first attempt at one of her adult patterns. I was not disappointed. The pattern was both interesting and easy enough to thoroughly enjoy knitting. The pattern consists of a four row repeat which doesn't take long to memorize.  I also learned an "alternate cable cast on" and that Woolly Wormhead has some great tutorials on her website. A word of warning: this is NOT a quick way to cast on.

I used Ultra Alpaca for the hat. Despite being a worsted weight yarn when the pattern calls for DK, I did not have to make any size or pattern adjustments. I have tried this yarn once before to make a Star Crossed Slouchy Beret for my friend last Christmas. She is the one who has moved back to Australia (not sure such a warm hat will come in very handy there... it will be great for when she visits though ; ) I thought it would be nice to make myself a hat from the same yarn. I had read that this yarn makes very warm garments so I was happy to find a pattern I liked with  built in ventilation eyelets. This yarn does tend to grow quite a bit. It fits great now but it will be interesting to see is gets much looser as I wear this winter... I'll keep you posted : )


The "my friend moved away so I knit myself a hat" Hat





Pattern: Castiel by Wooly Wormhead
Size: 21"
Yarn: Ultra Alpaca by Berroco 
Colour: 62172 (kind of a blue/purple)
Needles: 4.0/4.5mm / US 6/7 Knit Picks nickel 16" circular
4.5mm/US 7 Susan Bates DPN's (they're pink!)


I still have to knit my kids new winter hats... is it wrong that I knit mine first?

Tami has a whole bunch more FO's to check out on her blog today. Have you checked out her fabulous yarn for sale though her Candy Skein business? A word of warning... if you look it will be tough to resist!

Cheers, Nikki




It's hard to tell (since I'm wearing a hat and all) but I went for a big hair chop on Wednesday.
It's amazing how much lighter I feel!

26 comments:

  1. Very nice - I love the pattern and the blue really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute hat, and I like the built in ventilation ;) I recently knit a hat to cheer myself up (ignoring the projects for toher people), so I think you are perfectly justified in making your hat first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hat, it looks great on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat looks great and really suits you. And you should always knit your hat first, its like the flight briefing tells you about an aeroplane oxygen mask situation, you always fit yours first then see to your kids. You can't knit for them if you have a cold head (or some such justification :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking hat! Heck no, you need a warm head too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat is great and you were totally correct to knit yours before the kiddos. Yours will inspire them to wear theirs plus...you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful. And I love the hat. I miss you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Sounds like an interesting pattern, and it looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I loooooove the hat! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely pattern; and the blue is not too bright, either: nice choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a gorgeous hat! Looks great on too! Also I think it's perfectly acceptable to knit yours first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the hat. And you should knit yours first. Happy mummy means happy children :) And kids hats knit up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hat came out fabulous! And you look great in it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great hat and great color! Adding in my "it looks great on you" too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Ultra Alpaca Light is one of my favs, so I need to buy some of the worsted too. That stitch pattern is lovely. Could see that in a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely hat! If you like slouchy hats try some of Vicki Howell's at Caron.com. I love her slouchy hats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty. I think sometimes we need to make our own stuff first and then the little people's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hat is beautiful and looks fantastic on too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That hat looks great, I love the colour and pattern. I love WoollyWormhead hats too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course you should make your hat first. I'm really impressed if you can get your kids to wear a hat. It has to be below 0 before mine will.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's beautiful, I might have to add it to my ravalry list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The hat looks great on you! I love the color and pattern. It is worth putting your winter hat first if the knitting gave you a little comfort during your friend's move.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful. Its not wrong that you knit your hat first, I call that practice, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the hat, it looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete