Wednesday, September 14, 2011

WIP Wednesday #34 - The birth of a sweater

Hi all. Happy Wednesday!

Sunday was apparently the last day of summer around these part and since then it have been rather cool and chilly. Perfect weather for sweater knitting (and wearing)!

I feel like I have made good progress on the sweater for my husband. I am on my third skein (out of 17 but really, whose counting?) I am proud that I have kept going after I discovered on my tenth row that I had made a mistake on the SECOND STITCH of the entire project. Then I had to go back two more rows at another point because I found I had changed direction MID ROW! This isn't even the first time I have done this. I really have no idea how it happens.
I do not think that any of this is a good sign.

The pattern is written top down. Currently, I am working on the placket button holes while I continue to do the raglan increases. There are a lot of comments on Ravelry that this pattern can be quite confusing. I would have to agree. There definitely seems to be a lot of "...at the same time..." going on. At this point, I am sort of  relatively pretty confident that I am on the right track.

So far this knit does feel a bit like the birthing process... it is certainly going to be a long labour.
I'm sorry, there is no way to take a decent picture of this sweater right now.
Trust me I tried.



I'm very glad I made the most of the "last" day of summer this weekend and went out to the mountains for an open air concert. On the way, I stopped at one my favourite yarn shops and discovered they had a new supply of Madelinetosh. Who am I to resist the Tosh? Of course I made a purchase : )
I'm thinking about making an Embers Cowl with this
When it gets cold and gray this winter, I am going to try to remember
sitting in this beautiful setting, listening to some old school Canadian music,
 knitting a sweater and being warmed by the sun.
Bliss.
Cheers, Nikki

Check out some more WIP's through Tami's blog. I bet there are a lot of people getting their fall knitting mojo on this week.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, jealous of your new yarn, pretty colours :) Hope the sweater progresses with ease (I hate patterns with too much "at the same time" - I have to write out a line by line version telling me what each row of the pattern includes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, your husband's sweater does sound complicated, I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more problems! Love the colour though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top down sweaters have so much action at the top! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the sweater lightens up for you. I am sure your husband will love it!
    Awesome venue for a concert!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope the sweater grows quickly for you, the yarn you bought is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @pinkundine

    Same here re re-writing some of my patterns.

    NurseNik, hope this pattern get better for you. I can already see that it's going to be gorgeous when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the skeins you have used for the sweater. Totally understand what you mean about patterns that say "at the same time as...". I have to write out the pattern row by row to get my head around it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tosh Attack! Really, you did the only thing you could. And it should keep you going while you work on the man-sweater trudge. I promise, it'll be worth it. He's going to love it! Enjoy your fall, I left mine yesterday and arrived to a toasty 90 degrees in Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the initial frustration, I think that you are making great progress with the sweater. Those types of patterns that require mental gymnastics, especially at the beginning, can be a pain to get through at first. But then after the placket, you'll be clicking away! Love your new Tosh loot. The embers cowl is a gorgeous pattern. What a beautiful venue for a concert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love top down sweaters. They do get much in the beginning with all the increases.

    Great new yarn loot.

    It's finally cooling off down here. Highs in the low 90's. Woot.

    ReplyDelete