Friday, November 4, 2011

FO Friday #26 - Toddler Topper

Happy Friday everyone!

On Monday, it was sunny and about 23 degrees. Today, it is snowing. Of course, on Monday I was about half a world away... still, it all feels a bit surreal.

Fortunately, one of the projects I completed on my trip away was to make Doodlebug another winter hat to replace the too small 1st attempt.

I have again used Tami's lovely Candy Skein Yummy Sport superwash. Even after 2 toddler hats, I still have some left! May be even enough for baby booties? or mittens? The yarn continued to live up to my previous praise. It feels wonderful and the colourway is divine.

I loosely based the hat on a free basic hat pattern. I knit the child size because I was using sport weight on smaller needles than the pattern calls for. I was going to knit a basic folded brim hat but after I finished the ribbing I decided to so a three-needle-join and make the brim into one piece.

I'm really happy with the result. It fits now and is stretchy and long enough to last the season. It feels very warm and cuddly and best of all it's ready just in time!

Toddler Topper

Pattern: Adapted from Basic Winter Hat - Back to Basics
By Brandy Fortune
Yarn: Candy Skein Yummy sport superwash
Needles: 3.75mm/US 5 16" circular & dpns

Ok, I know the hat isn't quite finished in the above pic but it is my favourite one I have. I'll show you a couple more but then you have to promise to go to Tami's blog and check out some more FO Friday blogs with better photography than mine!



Hope you have a great (snow free) weekend.

Cheers, Nikki

 PS: Here's a few bonus shots of the views I had while knitting this hat : )
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo


King Parrots

Kookaburras

Ocean view from Lorne on the Great Ocean Road


15 comments:

  1. The hat looks so cute, I love that colourway :) I think baby booties would be cute in it too (or a crocheted flower to go on the hat maybe).

    Your model is gorgeous too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hat and the model are absolutely precious! I love the photos of the birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't have found a cuter model for the adorable cap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, very cute! I love how the yarn knit up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the name you've given this project. So cute! It looks lovely, and just right for getting through the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute model! Love the hat, it does look cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks pretty happy with her new hat. Great job, mom! And man, what a beautiful trip. More pictures when you get a chance, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hat and your doodlebug are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw what a cute hat and a super cute baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet baby! The hat looks great, too :-) lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little pumpkin looks adorable in that hat!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Doodle bug is so adorable. Love the bird photos.

    Wish I had birds like that outside. Instead, I have Henry the Hateful Hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The toddler topper turned out so cute! It looks so comfy and warm. Love the photos, especially of those kookaburras. Such funny looking birds!

    ReplyDelete