Friday, January 6, 2012

FO Friday #34 - Knitting for Nutrition

Happy Friday everyone!

My mum has a friend who has been collecting knit baby booties for the Peace Corps to send to Burkina Faso. Burkina Faso has significant issues relating to infant starvation and malnutrition. Frequently, it is actually the oldest child that suffers the worst. The babies do ok, for the most part, while they are breastfed but when a sibling comes the first baby is weaned and changed to a native diet that contains food that are very difficult to digest. The Peace Corps has been working to educate young mothers about nutrition for their toddlers. They have had some difficulty enticing these tired and busy moms to come to talks about food. Many families do not have shoes for their children, so knit booties are highly coveted. The Peace Corps are planning to give out booties in exchange for attending a lecture about nutrition.

They are no longer collecting any more booties for now, but if you are interested in reading more please go to knittingfornutrition.com

Anyways, to make a long story short, I whipped up a pair of booties while I was home for the holidays.

The pattern was quick and easy. I chose an acrylic yarn because the last thing I want anyone to worry about is how to wash and take care of them. I also couldn't resist the fun colours the yarn.

Knitting for Nutrition

photos are without and with flash - I couldn't decide which I liked best
but the colours are definitely truer in the second shot
Needles: 4.5mm
Modifications: I used a provisional cast on so I could graft the bottom.




It felt very fitting that my last FO of 2011, knit during a time a celebration and plenty, would go to help someone else.
I can't even imagine the struggles these families are go through in the course of their daily lives. One pair of booties does not seem like nearly enough.


Sometimes, I need a little reminder of just how lucky I am.
I'm looking forward to going over to Tami's Amis to see some of the first FO's of the year.

I hope that after the business of the holidays, you have some peaceful time this weekend - perhaps with a pair of needles or a hook : )

Cheers, Nikki

16 comments:

  1. Charity knitting is really gratifying, your baby boots came out great. And your little boys are so-o cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good cause, and your booties look great - I'm sure they will be highly prized by their recipient

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. The booties are adorable...so are your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your booties are fantastic and going to a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great booties and what a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cause. Charity knitting is always so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, they're really cute and for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cause. I sponsor a child in Burkina Faso - it's one of the poorest of the African nations. Very cute booties too! I know what you mean about the challenges of photography. I get best results by photographing without flash outside on overcast days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute booties and what a heart wrenching story. I pray their efforts will yield positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The booties are great, but your attitude about sharing what you have is super awesome. Off to check out the site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to draw hearts around this post! What a good cause (and not a place/its problems that I know much about, so thanks for the information) and lovely booties. I love the colours of the yarn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great cause, I am sure the infant's mom who winds up with these booties will be very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the whole idea, sometimes we forget what real poverty is! Have you tried Saartje's booties on Ravelry.com they are delightful.
    What cute little kids you have, they grow up so quick! My 6.2ft, 21yr old just went by on his way to the fridge...yesterday it seems he was 5lbs, lol
    willow4

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are gorgeous booties. Thanks for introducing knittingfornutrition.com to me. Our family sponsors a child from Burkina Faso so that area is very dear to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete