Monday, January 9, 2012

Why Knitting is Good for You

I seem to have spent the first days of 2012 taking stock of my life and asking some of the really big questions. Should we have a third baby? Should I go back to work?  What are the most important values I want my kids to learn? Am I being the best mum to my kids I can be? Do I have some unrealized potential I should be pursuing? Can I be doing more for the environment? Do I "give back" enough to our community? Is it really so wrong to eat chocolate for breakfast???

I feel inundated with ideas and thoughts from all directions. I've been watching Oprah's Lifeclass. I've been reading (and enjoying) The Happiness Project. Yesterday, I watched the very thought provoking documentary I Am  by Tom Shadyac.

This past weekend, I clinked on a link to a blog about motherhood that a friend had posted on Facebook. I found I connected to the sentiment of the post and thought it was both insightful and frankly quite funny. Unfortunately, then I read some of the comments people had written, criticizing this mother (and me, I felt by proxy) and I was left feeling pretty crappy.

I've been asking some really big questions... but I still don't know any answers.

Today, I was talking to my friend in Australia. We were both trying to talk about really important things that are going on in our lives. Both of us were speaking while our children yelled in the background. We tried to listen and be supportive of each other but unfortunately neither of us had any miraculous solutions.

Then, just before the end of my call, my friend remembered she was having an issue with part of the pattern for the shawl she is working on. Within a couple minutes, we had figured out where she had gone wrong and it was fixed. I could tell we both felt better and lighter somehow. We ended our conversation on a high note.

This phone call reminded me that there are so many reasons I love knitting. I love making something useful with my hands. I love the challenge of learning new skills and the thrill of trying new patterns. I love shopping for yarn : ) I love that there is one part of my life that can be as simple as black and white. Right or wrong.

But, my favourite part about knitting is the community it has connected me to. That means you!  My local knitting friends and my virtual community both play such positive roles in my knitting and my life. Ravelry even means that I can stay connected through knitting with friends who are far away.

One of my friends mentioned how nice the comments on my blog are. They really are. And I really appreciate each and every one. I'm so glad that I can post about a subject that makes me both happy and proud and I never fear the response I'm going to get.

I am so grateful that I have found something that can bring me so much joy, pride, levity, peace and, well, happiness. (Please feel free to remind me of this the next time I am ripping something back for the third time and throwing my needles at the wall.)

I am sure the world would be a better place if everyone would learn to knit.

I still have a lot of questions, but for today, it enough to take out a ball of yarn, cast on something new and be a part of something beautiful.

Via nursenikkiknits on Pinterest 
Thanks for reading.

Cheers, Nikki

7 comments:

  1. I love that no matter how difficult knitting gets, it is always easier than the rest of your life. It's a problem that can be solved through research and hard focus. Somehow being able to solve knitting problems makes me feel able to tackle life problems in the same way. I'm glad it beings you similar comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always glad to be part of the knitting community too - even when things in life suck, knitting is logical and sane and soothing.

    Oh, and by the way, it is never wrong to eat chocolate for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Knitting can be so meditative. (And sometimes frustrating... but even frogging can be a comfort sometimes!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever noticed how the only people who really spend time being introspective and worrying about being the best people they can be are generally the only ones who don't really have anything to worry about in that department? Just an observation... ;)

    I'm glad to hear the knitting helped. Yes to chocolate for breakfast (always), and please have another cute baby we can coo over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how knitting makes us feel grounded when everything else in our lives might be up in the air. Keep on knitting, the answers will come in their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! I love knitting for the sense of community it brings to my life as well, with both my local and long-distance friends. I am also enjoying the Happiness Project book, and I added "I Am" to my queue after reading your post. And a little chocolate never hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You summed up what I've been feeling lately (except for the third child part, I don't even have one), but I have felt there are big questions with no answers as of late. Knitting is one of those things I love and something that brings me great joy! I wish you the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete