Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday # 48 - Pressure

Happy Wednesday everyone!

We are in the middle of a Serious Deep Freeze here. As I write, it is -40 C outside with the windchill!

I took this through the window.
There was no way I was opening the door for a pic!
This means lots of fires in the fireplace, warm comfort food and many many many hours indoors. This indoor enforcement has been good for my knitting but not so good for my parenting nerves after days of having two little ones inside!

The living room with the kids in their "fort"
(which bought me almost 40 minutes of peace : )

I tried a new recipe for Chicken Pot Pie last night. yum!
I have dropped all my current WIP's in order to work on my mum's 60th birthday gift (which is on January 30th - yikes!).
As I mentioned in my last post, I ordered some luscious yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts the day before my self-imposed yarn diet. It arrived last week and I immediately cast on for an Imogen Cowl.


I'm thrilled with how it looks so far.

I've used my new favourite provisional cast on that I learned through the blog Stitched Together
Thanks Chrissy for the tip!

I have to do at least 36 rows a day to get it done in time.  For me, this is serious lace knitting that requires strict concentration. It is definitely not "TV knitting."  It's taking more than an hour of focussed knitting a day, but I am determined!

If you are looking for something interesting to listen to while knitting, may I suggest the free podcast for CBC's The Vinyl Cafe? Stuart McLean is a wonderful storyteller. I know it may have never occurred to you that Canadians can be hilarious... or maybe it has if you have ever read anything by the Yarn Harlot : )

Only 62 day until we go to Hawaii! Although, right now, I would definitely settle for being in Tami's neck-of-the-woods. I will have to live vicariously through WIP Wednesday on Tami's Amis.

Cheers, Nikki

PS: Don't forget to check back on Friday to FINALLY see the finished and completed My Husband's Henley!

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh, finished Henley, I look forward to seeing that :)

    Love the way the yarn is knitting up, so pretty (and did you know that yarn bought to make gives totally doesn't count as breaking your diet?!)

    Good luck getting it finished in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Love the colour of the yarn!

    I used to love building forts when I was little, now passing it on to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward the finished Henley as well.
    Your yarn is beautiful, very jealous. Love how warm and cosy the snow makes everyting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I was able to help! It's looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that yarn looks beautiful. Good luck with the knitting, that is a lot of knitting to do every night! I am sitting here freezing but now I feel a bit warmer-we have no snow here yet, just lots of ice....and next to no heating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing the henley!
    Everything looks great!
    Isn't it amazing how a simple fort can keep kids entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That yarn for your Mom's cowl was a terrific last hurrah on yarn purchases! It's gorgeous. Hope your weather takes a turn for the warmer soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Errr and burr for that snow picture. My deepest condolences. So far, what we got has melted, though now it's even colder. I HATE winter. LOVE the pink and purple....it looks awesome and am anxious to see you progress with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty colours in that yarn! As well as Stuart McLean, you may like Paul Quarrington - his hockey stories are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You definitely live where the hand knits come in handy! At least you all look warm and cozy, and the pot pie looks delicious. Your mom will love her gift and I can't wait to see the Henley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. -40!!! WOW!! We're at -5 right now and everyone is complaining! Weather like that screams for yummy, warm food like Chicken pot pie. I made a baked mac and cheese tonight to warm us up.

    ReplyDelete