Friday, February 10, 2012

FO Friday #38 - Lavender Love

Happy Friday everyone.

I am happily sending this to you from my old-computer-made-new-again with a fancy new hard drive with fully restored contents (thanks heavens for back-ups - I will never doubt again!).

I am excited about today's FO. I loved knitting this pattern but really I'm thrilled to have a good excuse to show off more photos of my darling Doodlebug. (You might have to get used to it, she is going to figure prominently in February's FO's : )

Lavender Love


I must fully disclose that some torture tactics *may* have been used in the taking of these photos


Here, I am holding her "baby" out of reach to get her to look at the camera.




Pattern: Milo by Georgie Hallum
Size: 18 months


Is is no coincidence that Milo has more than 3000 projects on Ravelry. Pretty impressive for a pay pattern! I loved knitting it. I try not to reknit patterns too much but I already know I will be coming back to this one time and time again. I love that simply varying the cable pattern (or making this!) will make each time I knit it unique. 
I had read that the sizing runs a little big. My Doodlebug is a pretty tiny 18 month old. I went with knitting the 18 month size hoping it would still leave room to grow (and no, I didn't swatch - the horror). I love that this is knit top down with no seams. I knit the pattern as written and used Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind off for the bottom).
It looks lovely on her now but definitely still has some space in it. Which is exactly the way I like kids knits to work out. It has been my experience that kids (my children at least) have this annoying propensity to grow and grow and rarely (if ever) shrink.  

Modifications: none

Yarn: "Good Ole" Cascade 220 Superwash
colourway: the daring 1949
1.2 skeins

This my usual standby for baby knits. I love that it's wool and I love that it's superwash. I really can't imagine using non-superwash for items meant for everyday wear. Doodlebug has worn it twice and I had to spot clean it once and toss it in the wash the second time. Cascade 220 superwash is a pleasure to knit with, has great stitch definition and is at a very reasonable price point. I have knit with it before and I will knit with it again (and again).

Needles: Knit Pick's nickel 16" circular
Size: 4mm

I know I ;m starting to sound like a broken record, but I still think vests make ideal knits for babies and toddlers. They are quick. They are forgiving with fit. There are no sleeves for little ones to pull or chew or drag through the dirt... and seriously, they are so. darn. cute!





Wishing all the best for the weekend. I hope you have the perfect mix of action and relaxation to restore you for another week.

Happy FO & Fiber Arts Friday!

Cheers, Nikki 


Mwah xxx


28 comments:

  1. So adorable!!! And I love the vest too. ;-) Perfect color for the perfect model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those vests are so cute, but I am sure the gorgeous little girl makes them that much more cuter!

    Thanks for sharing

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what is cuter, the vest or Doodlebug. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, precious! I love the final pose the best. That sweater vest is super sassy and I love the color. I agree with the superwash Cascade 220...I simply love using the Cascade 220 for most gifted projects that don't involve my Alpaca because of it ease to care for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's a darling! And the vest looks just like the thing a toddler needs - soft and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! And I do mean both the knit and doodlebug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is adorable! The vest is lovely and looks so cute on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable and doesn't look like she was being tortured. She just looks like she is having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh - loving how adorable she is too!!!! I see modeling in her future! Great vest, but she is clearly the star of those photos, lol! Love the kissy one - how sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I just died of cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is soooo stinking cute! And darling vest. I have become an convert to baby vest knitting. I have done two so far and find they are so much quicker than sweaters! I have one in the queue, it will be the 2nd time I have knit it. Pembroke by Kristin Kapur free from Petite Purls is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh seriously. Ridiculously cute. Love the reaching for baby doll pose the best, even if it did involve the tiniest bit of torture.

    PS. Oh, did you knit something? Right. The vest. It's pretty cute too, but doesn't hold a candle to the doodlebug. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She looks absolutely darling in it! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She looks absolutely adorable in her new sweater! I love the expressions on her face :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh!!! She is so cute hugging her baby xoxoxox
    I may have to make a vest for my son. You make a good point about quickness and lack of sleeves...hrm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is soooooooo cute in her special lavendar vest. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word she is so cute. And your pictures are fabulous. I love her expression while holding her 'baby'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh she's adorable!! what a great little pattern for kids, and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Doodlebug is SO ADORABLE!!! Please have zero hesitation is posting pics of her - your faithful readership gets it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww, that snookums is too cute!!!! Your vest ain't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, Doodlebug certainly is adorable in her fancy vest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fantastic and your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE it! Adorable vest on an adorable kiddo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. She's is the cutest! Such nice photos. The vest is really gorgeous too. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, she's a cutie-pie! The vest is great, and she doesn't appear to be trying to remove it, like my girls often did with vests and sweaters at that age.:)
    When my (quite tall, mostly grown) daughters and I run into Mamas and wee ones in the supermarket, etc., they know that my classic comment (while pointing to one of them) is, "This is what happens when you feed them!" :)
    Yep...they just keep growing! Enjoy these days!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, the vest is very pretty and the model is super cute! I use treat torture to get my pug to pose for pictures. With such a great result I'm sure she'll forgive your tactics.

    ReplyDelete