Friday, March 2, 2012

FO Friday #41 - Dapper Doodles

Happy Friday everyone!

Today brings the last instalment of quick knits for Doodlebug's wardrobe that I have made over the last little while. This one was probably there most fun - what can I say, I'm easily amused by pretty changing colours : )

Dapper Doodles


Pattern: A Very Harlot Poncho (heavily modified)
A very simple but effective pattern. 
Obviously, I made some significant changes to create a pint sized version.

Yarn: Knit Picks Chroma Worsted in Rollerskate
I have quite a lot of this yarn in my stash, but this is the first time I have used it. It is lovely and soft. It has a much more even thickness than Noro. It was a delight to knit with. I am seriously eyeing my other balls and plotting to use them soon.
I used exactly one 100g ball for this project.

Needles: 5.5mm

Modifications:
To get a size suitable for an 18 month old, I still cast on the suggested 64 stitches but used much smaller needles than indicated in the pattern. I added 6 rounds of 2x2 ribbing at the neck. At the end of the first ball, it seemed like a pretty good length so I ended it there.

This was a very fun and simple project. I thought my Doodlebug might feel like her arms are confined but she loves it (maybe she's amused by the pretty colours too?) I think her favourite part is that she can take it on and off herself.

My only disappointment is that the bottom edge tends to roll despite blocking. I knit the last round on a bigger needle and used the recommended crochet cast off. It's created quite a firm edge and maybe I should have gone with something more stretchy. I've considered putting on inside out as then it doesn't roll. It actually still looks quite cute that way too.

Now, of course, for the cute-as-button knit-in-action shots : ) 

I've got to do something with her hair, but I have no idea what!




I hope you have a chance to go look at some of the other posts for FO Friday and Fiber Arts Friday. There is some serious awe-inspiring projects out there!

I'll leave you with a pic of a lovely present that my friend in Australia sent me this week. I just love it and somehow it makes me feel secretly powerful. 

All the best for a wonderful weekend.

Cheers, Nikki

Artwork by Irena Sophia

26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous poncho - I am easily amused/distracted by pretty colours too :) And the modelled shots are so cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the poncho is cute and your model is just ADORABLE! Put them together and the cuteness is just too much. ;-) Great job on modding the poncho, and the colors really bring out the eyes on your Doodlebug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet, brightened my day!

    Thanks
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That poncho and the model are totally adorable!
    I love that artwork too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is such a cutey! And the poncho is just darling. You can tell she loves to wear Mommy's knits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks adorable in her new poncho. I made one for my niece once but my brother called in dismay ... "There's something odd about this sweater" he started hesitantly, "we can't seem to find the sleeves". At least my niece understood and donned it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love the action shots! Too cute! That colorway is really pretty. I was just looking at the newest colorways of Chroma this morning, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable, as is your little model, and cute leg warmers too. Such a happy little face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, if you want me to pay attention to your knitting, you're going to have to stop posting pics of it on your kid, because really, she's sooooooooooooo cute I have trouble focusing. But I think I remember a poncho up there somewhere, and it looked nice. ;) Also, come enter the yarn giveaway this weekend -- it totally doesn't violate your diet. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops -- I forgot to say how much I totally love that print (more Doodlebug amnesia!). That's a seriously awesome present!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your little darling looks so adorable in her new poncho! I've been eyeing Chroma for a while, so its good to continue to hear good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww and she's wearing her legwarmers, too ^_^
    What a wonderful present. It makes ME feel like secretly powerful too muahahha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable little one in a sweet poncho!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is adorable, your cap is gorgeous. I too like color. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously, what a cute little Doodlebug and hand-knits to go with.

    I love the print. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute...love her little leg warmers too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My 16 yo is jealous -- she wants legwarmers...bet it's easier knitting for an 18 mo than a 16 yo...so so so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cutie! The poncho is nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great poncho, and an adorable model at that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhh - I love those colors! She looks so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh she is just too cute... the ponch (gorgeous too) just adds to her. I say leave her hair as it is! (mom to boys... what can I say?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh, she looks adorable! I want an outfit like that in my size!!! :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  23. That poncho is adorable on its own, but your model totally sells it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH MY Adorable :) I am going to have to find something like this in crochet to make for my tiny one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete