Monday, April 23, 2012

3KCBWDAY1 - Colour Lovers



Looking through my stash in preparation for this post, I realized a few things:

1. I love to knit with colour. There is nothing better than knitting a great pattern in a gorgeous colour.

2. I am a huge fan of "semi-solids". I have learned the hard way that sometimes really varigated yarns look better as a skein than they do knit up (not that that fact has actually stopped me from buying more). 
Sometimes, knitting with a plain solid colour can get a bit mundane or look a bit flat. 
But the semi-solid has it all, no pooling, no funny colour shifts but still enough variation to add interest and depth.
This little vest is a recent knit of mine that is a good example of a semi-solid yarn.

3. While I love knitting with colour, I mostly wear neutrals.

4. This is a conundrum to which my only answer currently is... baby knits.


5. I have some awesome yarn in my stash and I can't wait to knit with all of it!



Happy Monday everyone!

Cheers, Nikki

3KCBWDAY1


10 comments:

  1. I love that little vest!

    I agree re insanely varigated yarns - I think they look a bit poo knit up personally, the subtle varigated ones make stitching look much lovelier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about semi solids! Crazy variagation I can deal with in socks, but not much else ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find I am in total agreement with you with colour and babyknits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that little vest is truly adorable. Yeah, I also exploded on colour in all my baby knits. It was fun to use bright pinks and greens or even both together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to really dislike variegated yarns for the same reason you do, the skein looks nothing like the swatch. I have learned over the last few years how to gauge what it might actually look like knit up, but it is still usually guess work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to knit with colour too, but I love to knit with varigated yarns, i just cannot help myself!!! your photos are so pretty, have a great knit and crochet week and a colourful monday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vest is so cute! I've seen some semi-solid in my local yarn store and I've been wanting to buy some, but most of them are not very cheap so I'll just have to save a bit for some pretty skeins. I love the natural yarn too, I wouldn't mind a vest in those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love to knit in color, but wear mostly neutral colors. My solution... gifts :-) Great KCBW post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little vest! I like your baby knits solution for colorful yarn. I usually give away my too bright knits to my tween nieces, although lately I have been knitting more accessories with variegated yarn. They are less commitment than a full sized sweater. Your neutral yarns are yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Semi-solids... yes. That solves the pooling problem right there. Genius. Your little vest is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your stash... all lovely.

    ReplyDelete