Saturday, April 28, 2012

3KCBWDAY6 - Improving Your Skill Set



Happy Saturday everyone!

Wow, day six! It has been quite a week. I absolutely loved all the creative posts that I got a chance to look at yesterday.  I am happy to report that all the yarn from my "painting" rolled back up in less than 20 minutes without a single tangle. Phew!

I would consider myself a solidly moderate knitter. I've been knitting for almost two years now. I have made a whole variety of objects using a whole variety of techniques.

Still, I know there are still many gaps in my knowledge.

I have tried many cast-ons and cast-offs but I know there are about a million more out there.

Bulky Moebius Cowl 

I have done stranded colourwork but don't have a clue how to do intarsia.

"Oliver" Jogless Stripes Beanie

I have made a few garments but am not yet fully comfortable with different methods of sweater construction. (Give me a choice and I will choose top down, raglan, all in one piece any day of the week).
Goodale

Raglan-Sleeved Henley

I have only ever tried felting once.
overprotective

Socks are a serious weak area. I can turn a heel but the only pair I've ever completed were a set of baby duck socks.
Just Ducky Socks

I've made a few toys but feel like I have only just touched the surface of amigurumi.
Sheldon
The cables on these mittens recently gave me a run for my money.
Clepsydra Mittens

I am currently having a bit of a love affair with lace but I know there are much more difficult projects out there.
Sunflower Shawlette

I am comfortable working flat or in-the-round. I can use circs, straights and DPN's. I am not afraid to try new things but I think the single biggest area I need to work on is speed. My knitting is rather slow and I would love to learn some techniques to go a little faster. My main goal for this year is to learn how to hold yarn in both hands for colourwork.

I recently bought myself The Principles of Knitting.
Before I even opened it, I look one look and the book and thought: Wow, I've got a lot to learn!


Thank goodness learning is half the fun : )

Cheers, Nikki

Don't forget to google 3KCBWDAY6 to see more posts for Day 6!


3 comments:

  1. That books is great isn't it? I keep dipping into it and finding fascinating stuff. I also found a new way to cast on, which worked brilliantly with my new scarf knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I just love those ducky socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recently bought that book and was a little bit scared to open it. Probably because it gave me bad flashbacks to those huge science textbooks that were required reading in college :) You have a great mix of projects and skills learned in two years.

    ReplyDelete