Friday, June 1, 2012

FO Friday #48 - Epic


Happy Friday everyone.

Today's FO has been a long time in coming. I started this blanket at the end of January for a baby due in May. Well, the baby got here a week before the blanket did!



Pattern:
Baby Chalice Blanket by Karen S. Lauger

I really enjoyed knitting this pattern. It only took so long to finish because it kept getting bumped by other priorities and because I could only knit it at a time when I could pay attention to the chart. Which pretty much eliminated any part of the day when my children were awake.

This a wonderful free pattern that includes both written and chart instructions. I personally go for the chart every time so I can't vouch for the written ones.


Modifications:
  • Cast on 123 stitches to increase the size of the blanket (pattern calls for 83)
  • Changed the edging to seed stitch instead of garter
  • Used a sewn bind off (this was actually bind off # 3 - the first one was too tight, the second too loose but the third one did the trick... just call me Goldilocks)

Post Blocking




Pre-block. You can see the "too loose" 2nd bind off here.
















Yarn:
70% Alpaca / 30% Merino
Used 3.8 skeins

This yarn is a gorgeous organic undyed blend of baby alpaca and merino. It is as soft as butter. I would normally never use anything but superwash for a baby gift but this yarn was impossible to resist. The baby's mother is a knitter so I'm sure she will look after it. 


Tools:
5.5mm Knit Picks Nickel Options circular
Blocking wires & pins
Knit Picks Chart holder
Row counter


This was a good project to block with wires. It was so pig I has to use the mattress in the spare room instead of my mats. Pre Blocking the blanket measured about 70 cm x 90 cm.
Finished dimensions are 78 cm x 99 cm. 
I definitely could have blocked it even bigger.

So there it is, the end of an epic project. It will be in the post to it's new owners in Nova Scotia by Monday. It feels so good that it's done... and that I can totally cast on something new guilt free!

Best wishes for a weekend filled with bright days and good company.

Cheers, Nikki



Check out more FO's!

13 comments:

  1. bautiful! I finished a baby blanket this week too (albeit far less impressive). It's a wonderfully cathartic feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! I've made that pattern too, and I loved it. I had trouble getting through to the end......blankets are just so BIG, even when they are for babies. Well done, that's an awesome gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blanket. My brother's (his wife's of course) baby was due mid May. We are still waiting and getting nervous .... I haven't decided on the gift yet althoug we know the baby is a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blanket. The color and the pattern are perfect. I am so over the pastel baby colors so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG it's beautiful! Just gorgeous! I think you're wise to add the seed stitch border and make it a bit bigger than written in the pattern. And now I'm totally envious of your blocking wires. Is it too soon to start my birthday list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's just BEAUTIFUL! You should be so proud!
    The baby will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blanket! So cozy and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely! I just adore that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I've made that pattern, too, and it is pretty fun ;) I made mine in a blend that was pretty heavy in acrylic, however, so it didn't lay exactly flat after blocking. Maybe next time I'll try a more wooley blend like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love baby blankets I might have to try making this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's beautiful!! you're right, I would totally choose that yarn over any superwash any day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love the natural color that you used. It is going to be a cherished blanket for years to come.

    ReplyDelete