Friday, September 7, 2012

FO Friday #52 - Sweet 'n Sour



Happy Friday everyone!

I am back from a bit of an unplanned hiatus. Everything is great here. The business of summer worked itself into a fever pitch in August and I found I just didn't have a spare moment or ounce of energy for blogging. Lets just call it an extended summer vacation (although I'll be honest - having two kids under five and being pregnant is seriously kicking my butt).

Fortunately, the knitting continued throughout the craziness of late summer and so I have lots to show you over the next few weeks!

First up, this week, is a fun and quick top I made for my girlfriend's daughter's 2nd birthday.


The pattern in Sourpatch by Corrina Ferguson. It is knit top down, in-the-round, with no seams. Yippee! I bought the yarn for this ages before I knit it but I was a little daunted by the k5b (knit 5 sts below) that is used to make the lovely bubble texture of the coloured stripes. Of course it's actually very easy. I've even made a little photo tutorial to show how simple it is, that I will try to post up over the weekend. Oh, and did I mention the pattern is free? Bonus!!

I have to admit, in the beginning I thought this project was doomed. You start with the seed stitch collar and I kept forgetting to alternate my stitches with each row. I ended up with ribbing THREE times. I was considering chopping up the project into tiny scraps with my embroidery scissors and banging my head again the wall. But, I'm glad I persevered - can I officially blame baby brain? ; )


It was finding some Cascade 220 superwash sport and one of my lys' that inspired me to try this knit. I love cascade 220 superwash and was very keen to try it in a sport weight. It did not disappoint. The colours are lovely, it feels great to knit with and has a super price point. I have tons of yarn in the stripey colours left over so my Doodlebug may get one of these down the track.


I love how this turned out. I think it looks adorable on her (ignoring the fact, of course, that she could make a paper bag look cute.


In other news, It's back-to-school week here and my Monkey started Junior Kindergarten. He was so excited so get back to class and see his friends.

Almost as excited as his sister, who was convinced she was going to school too. She even insisted on wearing her backpack to drop him off and tried to say bye to me at the door.


She is looking so big!

Now that My Monkey is in school, I'm hoping I was be able to sneak some time to catch up with all the FO's this week over at Tami's Amis. I've missed you guys!

Cheers, Nikki

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE the top--you were right to stick with it and not chop it into bits! Super adorable. Your back to school picks are cute too, I just love the start of school!! And as far as I am concerned I'm still claiming baby brain, and mine are both six now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sourpatch top - great colours and she looks adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, that sweater is adorable! I love the Cascade yarns.

    Hooray for your little Monkey going to school. It really is amazing to look at the first day of school pics through the years ( I just did a 5 yr collage). Your daughter is too adorable. Hopefully she keeps that excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're back!! I was just about to drop you one of those have-you-fallen-off-the-planet emails, and here you are. Hooray! I've missed you and your ridiculously cute kiddos. The top, as usual, is lovely. What a great gift! Hope your energy picks up in proportion to your household craziness soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, where do I get a sourpatch in my size? That is gorgeous---pretty pattern, amazing colour choices, ace knitting. :)

    And oh my gosh, first day of school photos! The cuteness is making me dizzy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You little girl looks absolutely adorable in that knitted top! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww!!! Both the top and the girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete