Friday, November 23, 2012

FO Friday #60 - Merino Mittens (soft as kittens)



Happy Friday everyone!

Wow, this is another week that I am not sorry to see the back of (except for the fact that my husband is working all weekend - sigh).

My 3rd trimester has brought back my worst nemesis (nemes-i? nemesises?) the 2 H's: heartburn and and... well, that's probably TMI. Needless to say, I am pretty much uncomfortable every waking hour and some of the sleeping ones too. Add in a husband who was away one week and then working 12 hours days the next, a little boy who is sick again and an unexpected winter storm with frigid temperatures and I am pretty much done.

I wish I could say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but really all I can see is the addition of a screaming baby in less than two months!

Thanks goodness for knitting. It is probably my only reliable retreat right now.
I spent part of this last week knitting the most delicious mittens.

Simple pattern, beautiful yarn and pretty colours... the perfect recipe for a much needed, if short-lived, escape.


IMG_1315

Pattern: Warmest Mittens by  Kris Percival (free!)
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted - 65 grams used total
Needles: 3.75mm and 4mm bamboo DPN's

Modifications:
I moved the position of the thumb on the second mitten relative to the start of the round so that the colour  changes occur just inside the thumb on both mitts.

IMG_1316

Verdict?
I love these mittens. They were so hard to send to my friend for birthday. Fortunately, my LYS just had a big sale on malabrigo worsted, and judging my the new additions in my stash, I suspect there will be more of these mittens in my future : )

IMG_1312

Here's one last pic of these pretty mittens with an even prettier project bag that a wonderful friend gave me this week for my birthday. Isn't it cute?

I hope all my American friends out there had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that the rest get the chance to enjoy one last relaxing weekend before the festive season is truly upon us. If you get a chance, take some time to check out more FO's through Tami's blog and Knit Knit Knit!!

Cheers, Nikki 

8 comments:

  1. Your mittens are beautiful!
    I hope you feel better. When I was pregnant with my daughter eons ago and had killer heartburn I chewed mint gum. Between the chewing and the mint it helped as long as I was up and moving around. I hope you find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful mittens. I like the colour combination. They must be the softest mittens ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooo pretty! I can almost feel how soft those mittens are. I hope your two H's calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO lovely! I'm sure your friend will love them. Hope you are feeling more comfortable soon - I remember that discomfort well (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear you're having a rough time; I found Gaviscon to be the Miracle Cure when I had pregnancy heartburn, I drank gallons of the stuff; but no ideas for the other end, sorry :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them. You surely will not go wrong in making yourself a pair. I hope all gets better as the last of your pregnancy passes. Have you been check for gall bladder issues? I didn't know that pregnancy can create issues with gall bladder. I finally had mine out after the 2nd one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting a Malabrigo addiction, it's so lovely isn't it? Loving your mitss. I adore the style, the colours and your stitches are so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mittens! They are so cheerful and cozy looking. I have made several pairs using that same great pattern. The last few months of pregnancy are the pits. I had horrible migraines and heartburn with mine. I hope that you can find more snatches of relaxing knitting time.

    ReplyDelete