Monday, November 5, 2012

Perfect Pins #1

Happy Monday everyone!

Over the weekend I had a new idea for some posts. I've had a brewing Pinterest addiction for over a year now and have actually gotten around to trying some of the things I pinned. I thought I might share some of my favourite successes with you from time to time.

This first one dates back to Doodlebug's 2nd birthday in July. I have a tradition of making cakes for my kid's birthdays. I'm am by no means a pro at cake decorating and the process is usually quite tedious and takes a whole day. This year, I had the added challenge of the fact that we were in the maritimes for Doodlebug's birthday and nowhere near my cake decorating supplies.

My husband requested an owl cake (no, I have no idea why it was his choice, it certainly wasn't his birthday). I searched Pinterest and came up with this pin:



I had never made a cupcake cake cake before but I figured it was worth a shot. Here is my result:


I thought it turned out great. Doodlebug (and Daddy) loved it. A total success in my book.

To top it off, the whole thing took me and my sister-in-law less than 2 hours from start to finish. And I totally overestimated how much candy we would need so we got to eat the leftovers. Bonus ; )

I am sold on cupcake cakes. Easy to make and serve. This was a great pin.

Cheers, Nikki

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I love how there are little owls too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, yours came out great! What a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SUCH a rock star! And Yay! for extra candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darn cute! I especially love the smaller baby owls. Great idea to post your pinterest successes.

    ReplyDelete