Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Perfect Pins: Birthday Cake Edition


We now have a five year old in the house. I can hardly believe it. Five feels big, really big.

I think we managed a pretty spectacular day to usher it in. The highlight was ten kids spending three hours at a mini golf/ playzone center. By the time we got home, I was very ready for a nap! (Which, sadly, I did not get.)

The party was a bit of a Angry Bird/Pirate Mash up (hey maybe I've just thought of the next Angry Birds edition: Angry Bird Pirates!)

I went to Pinterest for help with how the hell you make a designing the pirate ship cake. This pin came to the rescue.


My own effort ended up looking like this:


The whole ship only took one 9 x 13 cake. This source page of the pin had some great simple pictures to follow. It wasn't a quick endeavour but that is likely the fault of the cook (who, word has it,  is pretty rubbish at icing cut ends of cake).


I also threw together some cupcakes to make sure there would be enough cake for everyone.

Monkey loved it. He was so proud of his pirate/angry bird cake. His smile was all that mattered to me, but as an added bonus, it was pretty yummy too.


Five. I just can't believe it.

Cheers, Nikki

5 comments:

  1. Love it. With out two daughters' birthdays just 2 weeks apart they always had a joint celebration. One year it was Harry Potter and Cinderella. Each side of the cake was a different theme. Thankfully I didn't make it, store bought to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely *incredible*. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Monkey! You did an awesome job with the cake and cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing cake! And I love the chocolate coins in the cup cake frosting. Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best birthday cake ever. That's amazing! Well done.

    ReplyDelete