Friday, July 12, 2013

FO Friday #78 - M is for Momma Monster


Happy Friday everyone!

I've got to be honest, I will not be sorry to see the end of this week. It's been a rough one in my neck of the woods with the final insult being the flare up of an old back injury. I can barely lift the baby out of the crib and I fear we are housebound for a while as I cannot even imagine getting all three kids into their car seats. Thankfully, my husband starts two weeks of vacation tonight. I just need to make it to six o'clock. 

At least I have today's finished object to cheer me up. It's a fun one. I've made a monster (technically two) for my daughter's upcoming third birthday.

This is my first Rebecca Danger monster. I am sure it won't be be my last (especially since oldest boy has already picked out the one he wants for his birthday - which isn't until next March! He wanted to pick out one for the following birthday too, but I had to draw the line somewhere ; )

I used scraps to put this toy together. Man, it feels good to use up some extra yarn and not spend a penny on a project! The reddish yarn is actually from the very first cardigan I ever made Doodlebug, so that makes it even more special.


image

What an I say about this pattern really? Rebecca Danger is an absolute pro at toy patterns. Her simple instructions made this so easy. I couldn't find appropriate safety eyes so I went with buttons I had lying around. I probably would have just stitched eyes on with yarn if this was for a baby.

Yarn: Cascade 220 solid and heathers scraps
Great workhorse yarn. Wonderful colours. I needed just over a third of a ball of each.

Needles: 3.5 mm/US 4
Knit Picks nickel interchangeables and also a ChiaGoo red fixed circular with a 32" cord. 

I knit this toy at a very tight gauge as my last toy had some gaps where the knitting stretched and you could see the stuffing. In reality, I probably could have gone up one needle size. I used magic loop for everything and it worked a treat. I did find find it a little rough on my wrists but I suspect that was mostly due to the tight gauge. I also ended up with a mysteriously bent needle about halfway through the project. 

image 

I still have no idea how this happened!

I am very excited to give this to Doodlebug next week. We will be travelling on her birthday and it will be nice to have a gift to give her that is so easily packed.


image

I hope your Friday is much more fun than mine is likely to be. (How do you begin to pack for a trip away with 3 kids when you can't even stand up straight?) I think I need another coffee and some more Advil before I even start thinking about it! Or better yet, maybe I'll just put on a movie on for the kids and spend some time checking out all the other great FO's being posted today. All in the name of resting my back of course!

Cheers, Nikki



8 comments:

  1. Adorable!! My oldest would absolutely love one of these.

    i hope your back gets some relief, it's tough being a mama when you are hurting

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab project :)

    Sorry your back isn't too good at the moment. Hope you feel better again soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Daphne and Delilah! It IS a great pattern, isn't it? And how fun to use that leftover from Doodlebug's cardi! The buttons look just fine and you've done a great job with the teeth. I had trouble with that on mine and did them over and over again. Now c'mon six o'clock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say rest! But then again, I have been on the couch all day myself, not even due to a back ache. It's just a down day before a very busy weekend, so I made sure I wasn't running around all day. Have a fun vacation, and maybe it's time for Husband to learn to pack for 3 kids? Then you just worry about your clothes and kntiting projects. Monster and babe are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! *WICKED*!! :-D

    Anyway, have "FUN"! [i.e. hire a Sitter!]

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! I love Rebecca Danger's patterns, they are so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel better soon! I love your monsters, so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that your back is feeling better. The monsters are so cute! Love the color combo. Her patterns are so addictive and fun to knit. I had to stop myself at two.

    ReplyDelete