Friday, August 23, 2013

FO Friday #80 - O is for Oat

Happy Friday everyone!

This week, I finished my August project for my LYS' AlphaKAL. We are 15 months into this 26 month challenge. I'm very excited that I haven't missed one yet.  This month had the added bonus of finding something in my queue that would meet the criteria and that I had already purchased the yarn for!

I fell in love with my friend Purrlescent's Seashore Cowl last year. I am so happy to now have one for myself!



Pattern: Seashore Cowl by Milja Uimonen
Size: Small

The sizing for this cowl runs large. I am not normally a "small" person but I knew from my friend's experience that I would be ok knitting that size. If I knit this pattern again, I think I would consider shortening the first two mohair sections a bit. I think that they overpower the lace more than I would like.

Yarn: 
Knit Picks Aloft in the Oat colourway (22g)
Knit Picks Capretta in the Pesto colourway (70g)

Interestingly, I found the Capretta to be less soft than other MCNs that I have tried but the Aloft was (IMHO) much softer that other mohair yarns I have used. For the price, I would certainly use both yarns again. I have quite a lot of the Capretta left. Coordinating fingerless mitts or a hat, perhaps?

Needles:
4.0mm/US 6 fixed Signature Needle Arts Circular
Love these needles. I use them every chance I get. I'm sad that they aren't making the fixed circs anymore but will happily use my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable sharps (at a price point that is much easier on my wallet) instead.

This cowl can be worn in a capulet style or draped more around the neck.





I love it and am looking forward to experimenting with wearing it this fall!

Want to see more finished objects? check out FO Fridays at Tami's Amis.

Cheers, Nikki

Favourite Things: 
We finally have a year round Farmers Market close to our house! My family and I checked out the Symons Valley Ranch Farmers Market last weekend and had a great time. There was a playground and some cute animals for the kids. There was also lots of yummy meals and live music for lunch as well as a great selection of local and organic foods to purchase. My kids even made it onto the news about it (in a incredibly brief clip around 1:25). So awesome. I'm heading back today to stock up for the weekend. 


11 comments:

  1. Pretty :) Looks like a fairly straight forward knit too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple. And quick too! I don't get a whole lot of knitting time and I knit this in 10 days.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful. This is such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty. Love the design and your color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, a very versatile piece to have around. I love the halo of mohair, but hate the halo of mohair. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the balance of the mohair and the lace section, especially when it's wound around the neck. I'm working with some MCN that's not very soft right now, but the reviews tell me it softens up and blooms after the first soak. Have you tried soaking it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely! The colours look great together! I think it will be a great piece to wear in Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the drape, that will be fab when the weather cools down a bit, I don't think I'd ever take it off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cowl looks wonderful! Love the combination of the oat and green colors together. Very versatile size, too. It is going to be a great all-weather accessory.

    ReplyDelete