Friday, September 20, 2013

FOF Friday #82 -MIA

Happy Friday everyone!

I took a bit of an unexpected absence for the last little while. To be honest, life kind of got the better of me this week and I just couldn't seem to get it together. We are currently looking for a new (bigger) house and frankly it's all a bit much. So I had a crappy few days, wallowed a bit and leant on those closest to me. Then I got up, dusted myself off (aka bought some yarn) and now I'm feeling much better.

At least I've been knitting! I'm very excited to show you Monkey's new sweater today. I'm really happy with how it turned out. 




This is a free Drops pattern that I modified using Sandra Jager's free helicopter colourwork chart. It took a little math to fit the helicopters to the sweater and centre them in the front, but I think it worked out well. 

This pattern calls for a DK weight yarn but I got gauge with Cascade 220 superwash. I love using this yarn for kids' stuff. It's soft enough to wear, comes at a great price point in lots of colours and can go straight in the wash.  

My only pattern modification was the colourwork chart substitution. I never look forward to knitting sleeves and as this is a pieced sweater, the sleeves come last. This time I knit them at the same time on two separate needles. I loved it! not only were they both finished at the same time, but I didn't have to worry about making notes about when I increased or changed colours because I was literally doing it to  the other sleeve at the same time! I will certainly do that again.

I was a little nervous about setting in the sleeves as I have only done it a couple of times. I found this video by Knit Picks to be very helpful.

The final sweater fit great when it was first finished. Even though I washed and blocked my swatch, it did grow a little when I blocked the end result. I made the size 6 for my slight 5 year old. It is still very wearable and I'm glad he will have room in it to grow. 




So, in the last year I have made Monkey a humpback whale hat and a helicopter sweater. I'm slightly nervous about what he might ask for next!

I'm linking up with Tami's Amis so click on over for lots more fabulous FO's.

Cheers, Nikki

Favourite things:

I feel very spoiled to have scored a Fat Squirrel project bag in her latest update.  I got the sweater bag and it is fabulous. If you haven't seen the Fat Squirrel Speaks podcast, I highly recommend it. Amy Beth can get you laughing even on the bleakest of days.  All that and she is an fabulous knitter and bag designer too!


9 comments:

  1. Freaking **AWESOME**!!
    And, when He does outgrow IT, you can always turn IT into a funky PILLOW - or, perhaps a "sweater"-Monkey?
    :-D
    btw, GOOD LUCK with the house-hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful - it looks so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking sweater! I love doing chart designs. It looks so cute on your son....and glad he'll be able to get a couple of years of wear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome and he looks very pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet young man. He is adorable in his cute sweater! Hope all will be well for you in the future. We moved 3 years ago, and don't regret it at all. But, all that space we needed then is now too much as one child is off to college. Makes us wonder why we moved to a larger house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sweater turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable is that sweater and your Monkey! He looks so thrilled to be wearing it, too. Great job with the helicopters. I hope that the house hunt gets less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great sweater! Good luck with the house hunt.

    ReplyDelete