Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Spins - Chain Ply

Happy Sunday everyone!

I have finished my first entry for rhymeswithmaria's New to You Spinalong.

I went for the triple entry, which meant I need to use a new tool (my wheel), a new fibre (polworth) and a new technique... chain ply.

I loved spinning this fibre. Spinning on my ladybug was fantastic and I loved the gradient single I ended up with.  I was terrified I was going to mess it up with my first chain ply so I decided to try it out on the sample fibre I had spun when I was working out how to use my wheel.

I watched some videos on YouTube and then decided to give it a go. I ended up with this...


Needless to say, I was then even more terrified. For those who don't know, a chain ply (also called a Navajo ply) is a way of looping and spinning a single to make a three ply yarn. The beauty of a chain ply is that it preserves the colour order of the single and is perfect for things like gradients.) It is not hard but does take some practice.

After that disaster, I went back to YouTube and watched one more video. This one. The heavens parted, the sun shone down and it suddenly all made sense to me.

In the end, I was able to take this...


Spin it into this...


And chain ply it into THIS!


(about 130 metres of an aran/bulky weight in 100% polworth from Tails and Snouts)

I'm desperate to get back to my wheel and spin some more singles because suddenly I want to chain ply everything!

I hope you are enjoying the final moments of a lovely weekend. The men of my house are watching football so my plan is to hide, knit and catch up on some podcasts. Bliss!

Cheers, Nikki

2 comments:

  1. so very pretty, love the colour and you did a great job spinning it.

    ReplyDelete