Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday Spins - Silky Goodness

Happy Sunday everyone.

On my wheel today, I am finishing up a gorgeous braid of merino and tussah silk in a gradient that goes from pink to orange to yellow. This has been my first time spinning with tussah silk and it was interesting to figure out how I needed to change my technique to achieve a strong consistent single. I found that not only did I need to increase the whorl ratio on my wheel, but also that my spinning went smoother if I did not pre-draft my single. I have no idea why but I found my single ran much more thick and thin when I was pre-drafting. 

I was saving this braid until I was more "experienced" but Malia from the Yarn Raising podcast inspired me to try it now with her "New to You" spin along. I'm glad I did. It has been a great experience.


My plans are to chain ply the single this week to produce a 3 ply yarn that preserves the gradient.

Long term, I plan to knit this into a Zuzu's Petals  but to be honest, for now, I'm really looking forward to spinning something that has colours that feel more appropriate for fall. Now that I've done a couple gradients, I'd like to do something that will produce some awesome barber poling. I can't wait!

Cheers, Nikki

Favourite Things:

We've been having some gorgeous fall weather over the last few days. Today, my husband and I took Bean to the park to get some photos of him in the leaves. I have taken outside photos of each of my babies in their first fall. I guess after three it is officially a tradition. 


I can't believe how big he is getting!!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful spinning. They grow so quick don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! I like wool/silk blends. You probably had issues with predrafting because of the difference in staple length between merino and silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome picture of Bean in the leaves! He's adorable. Your spinning is beautiful. I can't wait to give some different fibers a try. Will have to check out that podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fibre looks beautiful and your singles are too! I'm the same about saving lovely fibres until I feel 'good enough' whatever that means but am trying to get out of that, thanks for the reminder not to wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful spinning and I live the picture of Autumn at the park too - looks so pretty.

    Thanks for linking up this week xx

    ReplyDelete