Monday, October 7, 2013

Sunday Spins on a Monday - Silky Sadness


Happy Monday everyone.

Well, I'm going to have to call this one a learning experience...

I finished spinning my merino and tussah silk braid. This was my first spin ever with silk content.


First lesson: when spinning with silk, add more twist.

I thought I did add more twist. I increased my whorl ratio and was conscious to try to add more twist to my single but when I plied I had several episodes where the single drifted apart. Overall, I was happy with my ability to reattach the single and continue to chain play but I suspect when I knit it up there are going to be bits that are a hot mess.

Second lesson: It is ok if your skein seems a bit overplied when you are done.

I was worried about how much energy was still in the skein when I finished plying. Not only did the entire skein have a bit of a twist but I could see parts where the individual strands of yarn were twisting back on themselves. What a difference a good washing and thwacking can make! Now it looks really balanced.

Third lesson: Rinse quickly if the dye runs.

here is some of the original fibre again the yarn after washing


Would that have helped?
I wish I had a picture of the skein before I washed it. I chain plied to preserve the gradient of colours that started with a sunshine yellow, became orange, and ended up strawberry pink. Well, the water in the sink looked like Orange Crush by the time I finished washing the yarn and now the whole skein is a muted orangey-yellow that transitions to orangey-pink. Sniff

I don't actually know how I could have prevented this.


The end result is still very pretty and kind of reminds me of rainbow sherbet : )


And anyways, I'm not bitter. In fact, I'm already moving on...

SweetGeorgia merino, bamboo and silk


Cheers, Nikki

5 comments:

  1. Saw your post in Yarnraising and just wanted to let you know the skein is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm, you can't go wrong with rainbow sherbet! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still lovely although I wonder if you could add some vinegar to the water to help it set. I hate when my yarn bleeds out the dye like that. There are a couple of venders I avoid because their fiber is never rinsed well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so beautiful! And useful lesson learned by all accounts too. Thanks for linking up with Spinning Show & Tell. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the end result is still so pretty. Thanks for the detailed lessons. I am having a hard time judging how much twist to put in the yarn, too. I guess it will come with time. The Sweet Georgia is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete