On my wheel today, I am finishing up a gorgeous braid of merino and tussah silk in a gradient that goes from pink to orange to yellow. This has been my first time spinning with tussah silk and it was interesting to figure out how I needed to change my technique to achieve a strong consistent single. I found that not only did I need to increase the whorl ratio on my wheel, but also that my spinning went smoother if I did not pre-draft my single. I have no idea why but I found my single ran much more thick and thin when I was pre-drafting.
I was saving this braid until I was more "experienced" but Malia from the Yarn Raising podcast inspired me to try it now with her "New to You" spin along. I'm glad I did. It has been a great experience.
My plans are to chain ply the single this week to produce a 3 ply yarn that preserves the gradient.
Long term, I plan to knit this into a Zuzu's Petals but to be honest, for now, I'm really looking forward to spinning something that has colours that feel more appropriate for fall. Now that I've done a couple gradients, I'd like to do something that will produce some awesome barber poling. I can't wait!
We've been having some gorgeous fall weather over the last few days. Today, my husband and I took Bean to the park to get some photos of him in the leaves. I have taken outside photos of each of my babies in their first fall. I guess after three it is officially a tradition.